Monday, July 16, 2007

EIA: Chapter 5: Identity Theft

Identity theft is not a new term for me, although I found this section in chapter 5 very interesting. Twenty-seven million people have been victims of identity theft from 2000-2004 (Quinn 250). One out of six thefts come from people you know (Quinn 250)! WOW!

I have heard of the different ways a person can steal your identity, but the idea of skimmers was new to me. People actually have credit card readers, scary.

A few ways were mentioned to try to fix the identity theft problem. I think the Real ID is the best idea. The card has your picture as well as a "biometric identifier" to help make identity theft harder.

I think thieves will be thieves and that they will just find new ways to steal identities. Maybe we can stop some, but thieves will find their ways around the ID ideas. We have a great start on stopping this problem, hopefully in the near future we can find a solution.

No comments: